General aspects of vegetable open field production and greenhouse.
Osman Cifuentes Agricultural Institute of science and technology. ICTA Guatemala
• Guatemalavegetable production is an economic activity is distributed throughout the country and represents an activity that generates income and promotes the development of new jobs in rural areas.
• Fromacross the country, are grown over 49 species of vegetables, with a view to marketing. However, a large number of native vegetables whose purpose is the family consumption are also grown.
•Vegetables that are grown with commercial approach, approximately 77,380 hectares are sown. These vegetable 32,356 hectares are sown in association with maize.
10261 Arveja AyoteChilacayote
Pepitoria 9578 2315
• 6 Most important vegetables that are grown by the amount of sown area are in order of importance: potato (Solanum tuberosum L.), Melon (cucumis melo L.),tomato (Solanum esculentum L), broccoli (Brassica oleracea L. var. italica), onions (Allium cepa L), and the carrot (Daucos carota L.), that together joined 27,308 hectares. That represent approximately60% of the area sown at the national level with vegetables.
1300 1907 2277
Potatoe Melon Tomatoe
broccoli Onion Carrot
• With respect to the local economicimportance that represent the sowing of vegetables in Guatemala, the most important crops by the number of farmers who cultivate them and benefit from the planting are: Potatoe, which is cultivated by26,984 farmers.
20000 Potatoe 15000 Sugar Snap Tomatoe 10000 Onion Carrot 5000
• Cultivation of tomatoes is sown by 5,398 producers, 4,098 farmer carrot and onion and the Chinesepea are sown by approximately 5,000 producers for each crop. Is to say that the planting of these crops charity directly to at least 100,000 persons who are employed in agriculture and live in...