Guadalajara Cathedral was begun on July 31, 1568 and concluded on February 19, 1618 by order of King Philip II of Spain. Fewpeople know that bears the official title of "Basilica of the Assumption of Our Lady of the Blessed Virgin Mary, because she was consecrated.
Built bythe architect Martín Casillas, shows an interesting mix of architectural styles. The architecture mixes influences Gothic, Baroque, Moorish andneoclassical and the three naves are covered with Gothic arches and ribs
In 1818, an earthquake shook the city, and when it ended another tragedy had occurred:the towers and the dome had collapsed. Were replaced by new ones, they also collapsed by a subsequent earthquake in the year 1849
This cathedral has20 bells total
The cathedral occupies an area of 77.8 x 72.75 meters. Contains altars dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption, Our Lady of Guadalupe,Our Lady of Sorrows, the Virgin of Zapopan (patron saint of Guadalajara), Santo Domingo, San Nicolás de Bari, Santo Tomás de Aquino, San Cristobal, SanJuan de Dios. There are 52 carved wooden seats in addition to the cardinal's chair. The consecration table is marble and silver. The stained glass windowsimported from France.
Are also images of Our Lady of Sorrows, Del Cristo de las Aguas, among others. The cathedral houses the relics of Holy InnocenceRoman martyr. Three cardinals are buried in the cathedral, and several bishops of the diocese and even the heart of a president of the Mexican republic.