Economy is mainly based in the harvest of coffee plant. It is one of the most important producers of Colombian coffee. The department belongs to the Colombian Coffee-Growers Axis which isthe centre of production and export of the highest quality coffee in Colombia. Plantain, cassava, Salentune potato and sugarcane are also cultivated, mostly for consume in the local markets.Touristic Places
* Colombian National Coffee park
* PANACA - national Park of the agricultural culture
* National Bamboo and Guadua investigationcenter
* Quimbaya Museum
* Butterfly vivarium
* Cocora Valley
* Snow Mountain of Quindio
A place to visit
Gran Colombia University
Quindío is a department of Colombia. It is in the western central region of the country, crossed by the Andes mountains. Its capital is Armenia. This department is located in a strategic area,in the center of the triangle formed by the three main cities of the country: Bogotá, Medellin and Cali. Quindío is the second smallest Colombian department with 12 municipalities. Ethnographicallyand culturally it belongs to the Paisa region
Quindío is one of the youngest departments of the country, its economy has been based on the coffee, besides the warmth of people, its beautiful culturesand spectacular landscapes, the traditional architecture is the same that the Antioquia architecture.
Coffee is the base for several different drinks and food in the Quindíocuisine.
Some of the typical food and drinks are:
* The Salentune Patacón, which is made with plantain, smashed in a thin layer, fried and covered with grinded cheese and pineapple sauce.* The Quindian arepa filled with shredded chicken and pieces of pig chicharrón.
* The Cocora baked trout.
* The Maduro is a broiled plantain filled with cheese and Bocadillo (thick guava...