Windows XP, Sigmatel STAC 92xxHD Audio Chip, and R171789 driver
On 12/04/07, Dell released a Sigmatel XP driver that featured "stereo mix", R171789(126.96.36.19915, A11). The following models can use this driver and in most cases probably do have it installed, because it is the current driver:
Inspirons: 1501, 640m / E1405, 9400/E1705, 1420,1520, 1720, 1721, B120, 1300/B130, 6400/E1505
Latitudes: XT, 120L, 131L, D420, D430, D520, D530, D531, D620. D630, 630c, D631, D820, D830
Precisions: M65, M90, M2300, M4300, M6300
Vostros: 1000,1400, 1500, 1700
XPS: M1730, M1210, M1330, M1710
It has been reported that this also works on an Inspiron 1525 with a Sigmatel R180044 driver.
[It is wise tocreate a System Restore point before editing the Registry. To create a new Restore Point go to Start/Help & Support/System Restore and tick 'Create a restore point'. Even better is to save a backupcopy of the Registry by using its 'Export' utility.]
1. Go to the Start menu and click on Run. Type 'regedit' without quotes and click OK to open the Registry.
2. At the top of the list,highlight My Computer.
3. Under the Edit menu, select Find.
4. Type in 'EnableInputMonitor' without quotes and click 'find next'.
5. Highlight EnableInputMonitor. Right click on it and selectModify.
6. Highlight 00 and change to 01. Click OK.
7. Repeat "find next" (F3) several more times and keep changing values to 01 until the "EnableInputMonitor"'s coming up are of the proper value.8. Find a key named "EnableIntSpkrMute" and change its value from 01 to 00.
9. Find a key named "DigitalInputMonitor" and change its value to 00.
10. Find a key named "RecMonitorMute" andchange its value to 00.
11. Exit the Registry and restart the computer.
Next, configure the system mixer:
1. Open Volume Control by right clicking on the speaker icon on the taskbar,...