Future Simple will
Will future expresses a spontaneous decision, an assumption with regard to the future or an action in the future that cannot be influenced.
Form of will Future
| |positive |negative |question |
|no differences |I will speak. |I will not speak. |Will I speak?|
Use of will Future
• a spontaneous decision
example: Wait, I will help you.
• an opinion, hope, uncertainty or assumption regarding the future
example: He will probably come back tomorrow.
• a promise
example: I will not watch TV tonight.
• an action in the future that cannot be influenced
example: It will rain tomorrow.
• conditional clauses type Iexample: If I arrive late, I will call you.
• in a year, next …, tomorrow
• I think, probably, perhaps
Exercise on Future Simple (will)
Principio del formulario
Put the verbs into the correct form (future I simple). Use will.
Jim asked a fortune teller about his future. Here is what she told him:
1. You (earn) _____________________________a lot of money.
2. You(travel) ________________________around the world.
3. You (meet) _______________________lots of interesting people.
4. Everybody (adore) _________________________________you.
5. You (not / have) ______________________________any problems.
6. Many people (serve) ____________________________________you.
7. They (anticipate) _________________________________your wishes.
8. There (not / be)___________________________anything left to wish for.
9. Everything (be) ____________________________________perfect.
10. But all these things (happen / only) ____________________if you marry me.
Near Future going to
Going to future expresses a conclusion regarding the immediate future or an action in the near future that has already been planned or prepared.
Form of going to Future| |positive |negative |question |
|I |I am going to speak. |I am not going to speak. |Am I going to speak? |
|you / we / they |You are going to speak. |You are not going to speak. |Are you going to speak? ||he / she / it |He is going to speak. |He is not going to speak. |Is he going to speak? |
Use of going to Future
• an action in the near future that has already been planned or prepared
example: I am going to study harder next year.
• a conclusion regarding the immediate future
example: The sky is absolutely dark. It is going to rain.Signal Words
• in one year, next week, tomorrow
Exercise on Near Future (going to)
Put the verbs into the correct form (future I). Use going to.
1. It (rain)_____________________________________.
2. They (eat) _______________________________stew.
3. I (wear) ___________________________blue shoes tonight.
4. We (not / help) _________________________________you.
5. Jack (not / walk)_______________________________home.
6. (cook / you) ___________________________________dinner?
7. Sue (share / not) _______________________________her biscuits.
8. (leave / they) __________________________________the house?
9. (take part / she) _______________________________in the contest?
10. I (not / spend) ________________________my holiday abroad this year.
FUTURE TIME CLAUSES(When, before, after, as soon as, until)
Se llama time clauses a las proposiciones de tiempo, es decir a las frases que indican cuándo ocurre la acción indicada por el verbo. Por ejemplo:
Ann brushes her teeth before she goes to bed.
Ana se cepilla los dientes antes de irse a la cama.
En este ejemplo, vemos que hay dos acciones: Ana se cepilla los dientes y Ana va a la cama....