House of cervantes in alcala

Solo disponible en BuenasTareas
  • Páginas : 4 (866 palabras )
  • Descarga(s) : 0
  • Publicado : 10 de enero de 2011
Leer documento completo
Vista previa del texto
Casa Nata of Cervantes Museum
Historical context:
The so-called Casa de Cervantes where, allegedly, the writer was born is located in Calle Mayor (Main Street) in Alcalá de Henares, just 100 metersaway from Plaza Cervantes. It is opened from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm and it offers free admission.
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra is the well-known writer who created ‘El Quixote’, thesecond most sold book in History after the Bible. He was born allegedly in Alcalá de Henares on 29 September 1547 and died on 22 April 1616 but buried on the 23rd, hence people’s confusion. It’s clearfrom the size and style of the house that the family was part of the upper class; in fact they were of minor nobility. The religious origin of the family is debated; as to whether they were of“converso” background, Jewish follows who converted to Christianity.
His father, Rodrigo Cervantes was a pharmaceutical surgeon and had a surgery in the family home, his mother was called Leonor de Cortinasand his siblings were Andrés, Andrea, Luisa, Rodrigo, Magdalena and Juan. Juan de Cervantes, their grandfather was an influential lawyer, and their uncle was a long running mayor of Cabra. They lived inMadrid but Miguel was forced to flee the country to Italy. Some years after that he returned to Spain and to fight in the Lepanto battle where he lost his hand; in the jail he wrote ‘El Quixote’(inaddition to other novels and letters) and died in Madrid.
In Madrid 1928, a writer who had published a book about the exemplary life of Cervantes, Luis Astrana Marín, bought it to public attentionthat the building in Alcala was the birthplace of Cervantes. In 1954 the town council of Alcalá de Henares bought the house so that the Ministry of National Education could use it as a museum. El MuseoCasa Natal de Cervantes was established in 1956 after several renovation works were carried out on the original building. Due to the growing number of visitors to the house, between 1997 and 2003...
tracking img