by Barbara Loe Fisher
national vaccine information center7/14/2009
Preventing Gardasil Vaccine Injuries & Deaths
1. The sexually transmitted infection which Gardasil vaccine is supposed to prevent can benaturally cleared from the body within two years by the vast majority of people.
2. And except for getting Gardasil shot, getting regular Pap tests can helpprevent almost all cases of cervical cancer and death. Cervical cancer represents less than two percent of all cancers diagnosed in the US every year and is not amongthe top ten causes of cancer deaths in American women any more.
3. Gardasil is not safe. It was only tested on about a thousand young girls before licensurein 2006. By the summer of 2009, there are more than 3000 injuries and 48 deaths.
Most vaccine reactions are not reported. Fewer than 10, perhaps only 1% ofall serious health problems following vaccination are ever reported to US federal health agencies.
4. There is an interest group behind the vaccine. Eventhough Merck Company did not test Gardasil in pre-licensure clinical trials, the company still sold it to millions of girls and $165 per dose. Merck is now evenasking the license Gardasil for young boys. This action can expand Merck’s market by tens of millions of dollars. In 2008, the global sales from Gardasil topped$2 billion dollars.
5. Every pharmaceutical product, including every vaccine, carries a risk of injury or death. That risk can be greater for some than others.