The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) has established standards for technology literate students that develop 21stCentury skills.
1 Basic Operations and Concepts
* Students demonstrate a sound understanding of the nature and operation of technology systems.
* Students are proficient in the use oftechnology.
2 Social, Ethical, and Human Issues
* Students understand the ethical, cultural, and societal issues related to technology.
* Students practice responsible use of technologysystems, information, and software.
* Students develop positive attitudes toward technology uses that support lifelong learning, collaboration, personal pursuits, and productivity.
3 TechnologyProductivity Tools
* Students use technology tools to enhance learning, increase productivity, and promote creativity.
* Students use productivity tools to collaborate in constructingtechnology-enhanced models, prepare publications, and produce other creative works.
4 Technology Communications Tools
* Students use telecommunications to collaborate, publish, and interact withpeers, experts, and other audiences.
* Students use a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences.
5 Technology Research Tools
*Students use technology to locate, evaluate, and collect information from a variety of sources.
* Students use technology tools to process data and report results.
* Students evaluate and select newinformation resources and technological innovations based on the appropriateness for specific tasks.
6 Technology Problem-solving and Decision-making Tools
* Students use technology resourcesfor solving problems and making informed decisions.
* Students employ technology in the development of strategies for solving problems in the real world.