Materia: Ingles II.
Alumno: Julio Castillo.
Trabajo: Informe de Exposición.
Sección: 5:30 – 6:20 pm
* Humans have useddrugs of one sort or another for thousands of years.
-wine was used at least from the time of the early Egyptians
-narcotics from 4000 BC
-medicinal use of marijuana has been dated to 2737BCin China.
* Types of Drugs-Stimulants:
Drugs that act on the central nervous
System and increase brain activity.
* Some give feelings of alertness, greater
Energy and confidence.
*They may also reduce appetite
Examples of Stimulants
* Alkyl Nitrites e.g. poppers
Types of Drugs-Depressants:* Drugs that act on the central nervous system and slow down brain activity.
* Impaired co-ordination, balance and judgment are common.
* Higher doses can lead progressively to drowsiness,vomiting, coma and even death.
Examples of Hallucinogens:
* Magic mushrooms
Types of Drugs - Analgesics:
* Drugs that have a painkillingeffect.
Types of Drugs – Anabolic Steroids:
* Drugs that promote muscle growth and increase lean body mass.
* These drugs mostly have legitimate medical uses* They are often misused by those wishing to enhance their athletic performance or strength.
* The following statistics are from the results of a major national survey ofsecondary schoolchildren aged 11-15 published by the Department of Health (DH) in 2002.
* 12% of pupils had used illegal drugs in the last month and 20% had used illegal drugs in the last year
*13% of boys reported taking drugs in the last month compared to 11% of girls
* Use increased with age. Six percent of 11-year-olds had used drugs in the last year compared to 39% of 15-year-olds...