* Occupation: Explorer and Traveler
* Born: Venice, Italy September 15, in 1254
* Died: January 8, 1324 Venice, Italy and was buried in the Church of San Lorenzo
* Bestknown for: European traveler to China and the Far East :
* Nationality: Italian
* Family connections : He was the son of Niccolo Polo and the nephew of Maffeo Polo
* Accomplishments orwhy Marco Polo was famous: The life story and his autobiography was called 'The Travels of Marco Polo' or 'Il Milione' provided inspiration for many other explorers including Christopher Columbus
*Some have speculated that Marco made up much of his adventures. However, scholars have checked his facts and believe many of them are likely true.
Marco Polo was a merchant andexplorer who traveled throughout the Far East and China for much of his life. His stories were the basis for what much of Europe knew about Ancient China for many years. He lived from 1254 to 1324. Hisfather and uncle were merchants and business partners. Marco Polo went with his father and uncle on many business trips.
Marco first left for China when he was 17 years old. His father and uncledecided to return. They had met the Mongol Emperor Kublai Khan during their first trip and had told him they would return. Kublai was leader over all of China at the time.
It took Marco Polo three yearsto get to China. Along the way he visited many great cities and saw many sites including the holy city of Jerusalem, the mountains of the Hindu Kush, Persia, and the Gobi Desert. He met a lot ofdifferent types of people and had many adventures.
Living in China:
Marco lived in China for many years and learned to speak the language. Marco Polo entered Kublai Khan's service, acting as hisagent on missions to many parts of the Mongol Empire and was the governor of the Chinese city of Yangchow for three years. He even traveled far to the south to where Myanmar and Vietnam are today....