* Is a country in northern Eurasia. It is a federal semi-presidential republic, comprising 83 federal subjects. Russia shares borders with the following countries (from northwest tosoutheast): Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland (both via Kaliningrad Oblast), Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, China, Mongolia, and North Korea. It also has maritimeborders with Japan (by the Sea of Okhotsk) and the United States (by the Bering Strait).
* The climate of the Russian Federation formed under the influence of several determiningfactors. The enormous size of the country and the remoteness of many areas from the sea result in the dominance of the humid continental and subarctic climate. Throughout much of the territory there areonly two distinct seasons, Winter and Sumer In winter, temperatures get colder both from south to north and from west to east. Summers can be quite hot and humid.
* Russia's 160 ethnicgroups speak some 100 languages. According to the 2002 census, 142.6 million people speak Russian, Russian is the only official state language, but the Constitution gives the individual republics theright to make their native language co-official next to Russian.
* Russian is the most geographically widespread language of Eurasia and the most widely spoken Slavic language
* Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and Judaism are Russia’s traditional religions, Russian Orthodoxy is the dominant religion in Russia 95% of the registered Orthodox parishes belong tothe Russian Orthodox Church while there are a number of smaller Orthodox Churches
* Victory Day is the second popular holiday in Russia, it commemorates the victory over NaziGermany in World War II and is widely celebrated throughout the country
Russia Day celebrates the adoption in 1991 of the Declaration of Sovereignty of the Russian Federation, which opened the current page...