From water usage and packaging sustainability to brewery waste and energy consumption, Miller is always looking for ways to lessen the impact on the environment. Miller strives to make more beer while using less water and 98% of our brewery waste is reused or recycled.
Miller is the most water efficient breweries in the world. They have a water-to-beer ratioof 4.0:1 barrels of water for each barrel of beer produced; they are committed to reducing water usage. In fact, they have a 2015 goal to reduce their water usage by 15% to 3.5:1.
In addition Milles is helping build a long-term plan to address water conservation and help its barley farmers to be more efficient with their agricultural practices.
Miller provides grants investment and support to localorganizations that focus on watershed quality, education, and conservation efforts in their communities
Energy and carbon
MillerCoors is committed to reducing its total energy use across all operations by:
* Reducing its carbon footprint
* Focusing on renewable energy
* Lessening emissions
Miller has an ammonia compressor that conserves energy by automatically controlling pressureand temperatures, saving 3.3 million killowat hours. Heat that would normally be exhausted into the atmosphere is recovered and reused to pre-heat boiler water, saving nearly 38,000 threms per year and they upgraded the ammonia refrigeration system to reduce energy use by 3.6 percent.
Saving more by using less they are working on light weighting their packaging. By eliminatingunnecessary corrugated fiber board, they've saved 5.8 million pounds of cardboard - the equivalent of 8,700 trees
Miller look for ways to reuse or recycle the majority of the byproducts created during the brewing process. Currently, leftover barley malt is sold to farms for animal feed. Brewers’ yeast is sold to food companies for use in canned soups, gravies, frozen entrees and petfood. And, some byproducts are used to fertilize hay fields on site.
Companies: Rio Tinto, Macarthur, Centennial Coal
* Each company follow key aspects of sustainability development to maintain a high level of environmental performance.
* Each of these company has defined its own targets and has implemented practical programs to develop them, Companies havedesigned appropriate sustainability strategies in each area where they are located.
* Each company has a special group with people engagement to manage environmental matters such as evaluation, implementation and legislation requirements.
* One of the most important targets for each company is maximize shareholder value, for that reason companies know that the community and employee opinionis valuable. Employees and community used to give suggestions, reports and inputs about environment concerns.
* For these companies it is important to follow legislation, each of them takes this legislation to develop their policies, for example, centennial coal’ policies are monitored with a government system, Macarthur has been approved by the environmental protection agency (EPA) and Riotinto
* These three companies have defines their communication strategies, for example, they provide enough information in their web sites, they hold meeting and consultative committees (dialogue with local community), they use intranet communication and provide an annual inform of their performance in environment issues.
* Centennial Coal have created a developedcommunication strategies of its policies, this company has designed an environmental management which have created vision, logo, beliefs and guide lines, all these things to raising the aware and visibility of the company’s environmental effort
* Centennial Coal and Rion tinto unlike to Centennial Coal give training to their employees in environment awareness
* All Practical programs are...