The modern Olympic Games are a major international event featuring summer and winter sports in which thousands of athletes participate in a variety of competitions. The Olympic Games are considered to be the world's foremost sports competition with more than 200 nations participating.
The Olympic symbol, better known as the Olympic rings, consists of five intertwinedrings and represents the unity of the five inhabited continents (Africa, America, Asia, Australia, Europe). The colored version of the rings—blue, yellow, black, green, and red—over a white field forms the Olympic flag. These colors were chosen because every nation had at least one of them on its national flag.
The Olympic Games program consists of 35 sports, 30 disciplines and nearly 400events.
* Diving is the sport of jumping or falling into water from a platform or springboard, sometimes while performing acrobatics. Diving is an internationally-recognized sport that is part of the Olympic Games. In addition, unstructured and non-competitive diving is a recreational pastime.
Diving is one of the most popular Olympic sports with spectators. Competitors possess many of the samecharacteristics as gymnasts and dancers, including strength, flexibility, kinesthetic judgment and air awareness.
* Golf is a precision club and ball sport, in which competing players use many types of clubs to hit balls into a series of holes on a golf course using the fewest number of strokes.
It is one of the few ball games that does not require a standardized playing area.
Golfcompetition is generally played for the lowest number of strokes by an individual, known simply as stroke play, or the lowest score on the most individual holes during a complete round by an individual or team, known as match play.
* Curling is a sport in which players slide stones across a sheet of ice towards a target area which is segmented into four rings. It is related to bowls, boule andshuffleboard. Two teams, each of four players, take turns sliding heavy,across the ice curling sheet towards the house, a circular target marked on the ice. Each team has eight stones. The purpose is to accumulate the highest score for a game; points are scored for the stones resting closest to the centre of the house at the conclusion of each end, which is completed when both teams have thrownall of their stones. A game may consist of ten or eight ends.
* Water polo, or Water ball, is a team water sport. The playing team consists of six field players and one goalkeeper. The winner of the game is the team that scores the most goals. Game play involves swimming, treading water, players passing the ball while being defended by opponents, and scoring by throwing the ball into a netdefended by a goalie. 'Man-up' situations occur frequently. Water polo, therefore, has strong similarities to the land-based game of team handball.
* Athletics is an exclusive collection of sporting events that involve competitive running, jumping, throwing, and walking. The most common types of athletics competitions are track and field, road running, cross country running, and racewalking. The simplicity of the competitions, and the lack of a need for expensive equipment, makes athletics one of the most commonly competed sports in the world. Athletics is mostly an individual sport, with the exception of relay races and competitions which combine athletes' performances for a team score, such as cross country.
Usain Bolt is a world-famous Jamaican athlete. He has set the worldrecords for the fastest time over distances of 100 m and 200 m, en route to 6 Olympic and 5 World Championship gold medals. Here's a look into this Jamaican sprinter's life and achievements.
All of us must have heard some variation of this piece of commentary as the legendary Jamaican ran through to his 4th Olympic gold medal. Replace Gatlin and Gay with Weir and Spearmon, and it's exactly the...