* WHAT ARE PREPOSITIONS?
* Prepositions are words used in the formation of sentences to relate the components of the same ideas, so that if theythemselves do not have an expressive sense of their own, contribute fundamentally to make sense of the whole sentence to establish a semantic relationship or meaning.
* Prepositions of Time:at, in, on
At for a precise time
In for months, years, centuries and long periods
On for days and dates
AT | IN | ON |
PRECISE TIME | MONTHS, YEARS, CENTURIES AND LONGPERIODS | DAYS AND DATES |
at 3 o'clock | in May | onSunday |
at 10.30am | in summer | onTuesdays |
at noon | in thesummer | on 6 March |
at dinnertime | in 1990 | on 25 Dec. 2010 |at bedtime | in the 1990s | on Christmas Day |
at sunrise | in thenextcentury | on Independence Day |
at sunset | in the Ice Age | onmybirthday |
at themoment | in thepast/future |on New Year'sEve |
Prepositions of Place: at, in, on
In general, we use:
* atfor a POINT
* inforan ENCLOSED SPACE
* onfor a SURFACE
at | in | on |
POINT | ENCLOSED SPACE| SURFACE |
at thecorner | in thegarden | onthewall |
at the bus stop | in London | ontheceiling |
at thedoor | in France | onthedoor |
at the top of the page | in a box |onthecover |
at the end of the road | in mypocket | onthefloor |
at theentrance | in mywallet | onthecarpet |
at thecrossroads | in a building | onthemenu |
at thefrontdesk | in a car | on apage |
Look at theseexamples:
* Jane is waiting for you at the bus stop.
* The shop is at the end of the street.
* My plane stopped at Dubai and Hanoi and arrived in Bangkoktwo hours late.
* When will you arrive at the office?
* Do you work in an office?
* I have a meeting in New York.
* Do you live in Japan?
* Jupiter is in the Solar System.