Subject + Verb to BE + Verb + ING
We use the Present Continuous:
1. When we talk about something happening at the time of speaking.
I am (not) eating
Youare (not) playing
He is (not) singing 1. What is the boy doing?
She is (not) studying Examples: The boy is playing in the garden NOW.
It is (not) raining 2. What are you doing?
Weare (not) learning I am learning the present progressive IN
You are (not) reading THIS MOMENT.
They are (not) writing
2. To describe situations or actions which are in progress for alimited period. (Temporary situations)
Examples: 1. At school, we are studying the Egyptians THIS WEEK.
2. In my house, we are organizing all the books alphabetically THIS WEEK.
3. When weneed to talk about activities planned for the future.
Examples: 1. We are going to Disneyland NEXT HOLLYDAYS.
2. My friend is coming to Mexico TOMORROW.
4. With certain adverbs such asalways, constantly, repeatedly etc.
Examples: 1. My friend is ALWAYS interrupting me when I study.
2. My dog is barking CONSTANTLY all day long.
Common expressions for The Present Continuous.|At the moment, Now, today, this week etc |
|For future reference: Tomorrow, Next week, next year etc |DO NOT USE THE PRESENT PROGRESSIVE WITH STATE VERBS. THEY DESCRIBE A STATE, NOT AN ACTION.
|LIKE, WANT, REMEMBER, LOVE, FORGET, NEED, WANT, HATE, UNDERSTAND, BELONG, PREFER,BELIEVE. |
WRONG: (INCORRECT) RIGHT: (CORRECT)
X I am loving pizza I love pizza.
X I am needing a friend I need a friend.
X I am wantinga hamburger I want a hamburger.
Try the next exercises:
1. Mike / cleaning / house / at the moment.
2. Mario / cook / an omelet / for...