2 Thessalonians 1:5-12
One More Coming of Christ
I am not pretrib. I believe that there is one more coming of Christ not two, and that at that coming he will not take the church back to heaven butwill gather the church to reign on the earth.
• Note the flow of thought in 2 Thessalonians 1:6–7—vengeance and rest are given to the unbelievers and saints respectively at the same time, namely,"in the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with angels in flaming fire." This is not the secret rapture and leaves no room for it. Paul conceives of one more coming of Christ—namely, in glory toreign.
• The word apantesin in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 means in Matthew 25:6 and Acts 28:15 a meeting followed by a return to where the meeters came from. We will rise for a meeting of him in the air andreturn with him to his kingdom. (See Wesley's "Lo He Comes with Clouds Descending," verse 1, "God appears on earth to reign!")
• In 1 Thessalonians 5:1ff. the day of the Lord breaks in on the worldunawares and results in judgment. But doesn't take the sons of light off-guard.
• More next Sunday morning from 2 Thessalonians 2.
Let us hold fast that he is coming and that all the world will behis someday and we will reign with him forever and ever.
Questions for Lesson on 2 Thessalonians 1:11–12
1. Toward what is Paul praying in v. 11a?
Toward the Thessalonian participation in theglorification of Christ in v. 10.
2. What is the point of praying that believers (v. 4) will be a part of the glory of Christ at his coming?
Because God has ordained that prayer be a means ofsustaining the saints' perseverance in faith and love, so that they will be able to be a part of final salvation.
3. This assumes that perseverance is necessary in order to be saved at the second coming, isthat right? Does the NT teach that?
Yes. 1 Corinthians 15:1–3; Colossians 1:23; Mark 13:13; Hebrews 12:14; 3:14; Romans 8:17; Philippians 3:10–11.
4. Can we confirm that right here in this text?...
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.