Group task roles
Group members who work together to reach their goals. You can become a better group member if you follow these task roles.
• Initiator-Defines problems, set rules and contribute ideas
• Information giver/information giver- Ask for important information
• Opinion giver/opinion seeker- Ask for and offers opinion
•Direction giver- Tell how to do the task
• Summarizer- synthesizing point of agreement and the group’s process.
• Diagnoser- Tells what is needed to reach the goal.
• Energizer- stimulatesmembers to stay on the task.
• Gatekeeper- controls participants of the group.
• Reality tester- compares the group’s idea with the real world.
Group relationship roles
Membersof the group function as if they were in a relationship; if they are compatible the job gets done faster and more effectively.
• Participation encourager- seeks to involve silentmembers.
• Harmonizer/ tension reliever- resolves differences and reduces tension.
• Evaluator of emotional climate- reflects the feeling of the groups.
• Praise giver- Encourager asupportive climate.
• Empathic listener- shows interest by listening without interrupting.
Dysfunctional Group Roles
Group members disrupt the group and the work that is been done byfollowing these roles.
• Blocker- Constantly put down the ideas and suggestion others.
• Attacker- Insults, criticizes, and aggresses against other.
• Recognition- Waste thegroup’s time with messages unnecessary recounting.
• Joker- Distracts the group with excessive joke-telling
• Withdrawer- Participates very little or not at all and refuses offer opinions.