Everybody talks about the United Nations, and knows that the try to have peace all over the world and find solutions for confclicts in different countries, but not to many people knowshow the assembly works and al the functions that it have.
The UN, is an IGO in charge of mantaining peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, and encourage internationalcooperation in solving human problems.
The UN, was formed in 1945, at the end of the World War II, and the headquarters are in New York City. Right know the secretary general is Banki Moon, and is electedevery 5 years with chance of relection.
The United Nations is divided in:
- The General Assembly: All member states are represented here, in this forum the natios discusses "parliamentarydiplomacy". Every country has an equal vote.
- The Security Council: the Council responsable for maintaining global peace and security.
- The Economic and Social Council: responsable for promotinghigher standards of living, full employment, and conditions of economic and social progress and development; solutions of international economic, social, health, and related problems, as well asinternational cultural and educational cooperation; and universal respect for, and observance of, human rights and fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion.
-The International Court of Justice: Judicial organ, located in Netherlands
- The Secretariat: Administrative body of the UN
- NGO's: In charge of non-profit, voluntary citizens groups. Helpmonitor and implement international agreements.
The votations in nearly most of the councils consist in two-thirds majority, and the Assembly can not force action in any nation. The anual regularsession is from September to December.
2000, By. "United Nations: West's Encyclopedia of American Law (Full Article) from Answers.com." Answers.com: Wiki Q&A Combined with Free...