Exercise 1: Explore the Components and Execute Queries in
SQL Server Management Studio
You are the database administrator of Adventure Works.The Human Resources
department requires that you generate several reports by using SQL Server 2008.
You need to generate reports with a list of employee addresses sorted by
departments or a list ofaddresses of employees residing in the United States
The main tasks for this exercise are as follows:
1. Launch SQL Server Management Studio.
2. Navigate through the online help.
3. Resize, hide,and close Object Explorer and Solution Explorer.
4. Create a new solution and explore the solution objects in Object Explorer.
5. Add projects to an existing solution and create queries in theprojects.
6. Connect to SQL Server and execute a query.
7. Use Visual Query Builder to return rows from a table.
Task 1: Launch the SQL Server Management Studio
• Start 2778A-NY-SQL-01 and logon asStudent using the password Pa$$w0rd.
• Start the Server Management Studio and connect to the server.
Task 2: Navigate through online Help
• Navigate to SQL Server Books Online | Getting Started| Initial Installation |
Overview of SQL Server Installation | Features and Tools Overview |SQL
Server Studios Overview | Introducing SQL Server Management Studio |
Tutorial: SQL Server ManagementStudio | Lesson 1: Basic Navigation in SQL
Server Management Studio.
• View the Lesson 1: Basic Navigation in SQL Server Management Studio page.
• View the Connecting with Registered Servers andObject Explorer page.
Task 3: Resize, hide, and close Object Explorer and Solution Explorer
• Resize the Contents pane.
• Close the Help window.
• Auto Hide the Solution Explorer pane.
• AutoHide the Object Explorer pane.
Task 4: Create a new solution and explore the solution objects in
• Dock the Object Explorer pane.
• View the AdventureWorks2008 tables.