The Planet Venus is the second closest planet to the sun. It is locatedbetween our Earth and Mercury. It is named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty. The Planet Venus is the second closest planet to the sun. It is locatedbetween our Earth and Mercury. It is named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty. Venus has no moons.
Facts about Planet Venus
* Diameter: 12,100 km. It is about1040km smaller in diameter than Earth
* Temperature: Ranges from 900F+/- 50F (about 500°C +/- 32°C) at the surface
* Distance from Earth: At its closest, Venusis 41,840,000 km away
* Atmosphere: Carbon dioxide (95%), nitrogen, sulfuric acid, and traces of other elements
* Surface: A rocky, dusty, waterless expanse ofmountains, canyons, and plains, with a 200-mile river of hardened lava
* Rotation of its axis: 243 Earth days (1 Venusian Day)
* Rotation around the Sun: 225 Earthdays
* Magnetic Field: No
Venus is the brightest object in the sky besides our Sun and the Moon. It is also known as the morning star because at sunrise itappears in the east and and evening star as it appears at sunset when it is in the west. It cannot be seen in the middle of the night.
A Venusian day is 243 Earthdays and is longer than its year of 225 days. Oddly, Venus rotates from east to west (retrograde - opposite to that of earth). If you were on Venus, the Sun wouldrise in the west and set in the east.
Venus and Earth are close together in space and similar in size, which is the reason Venus is called Earth's sister planet.