1) ACCOUNT FOR - explicar- 4) ASK AFTER -preguntar por alguien-
2) ADD UP -tener sentido- 5) ASK FOR -preguntar por-
3) ALLOW FOR -tener en cuenta- 6) ASK OUT - invitar a salir-
1) The storm accounts for the plane crash. 4) Susan is asking after your brother.
2) "I can't understand this. It doesn't add up". 5) He was very hungry and asked me for something to eat.3) All good fishermen allow for the posibility of snake bites. 6) John likes Susan. He will ask her out tonight.
1) BACK DOWN - echarse atrás 7) BREAK DOWN - averiarse, descomponerse
2) BACK OUT - romper una promesa 8) BREAK IN(TO) - entrar por la fuerza
3) BACK UP - apoyar 9) BREAK OUT - comenzar (una calamidad)
4) BACK UP - retroceder 10) BREAK UP - romper relaciones
5) BLOW UP -estallar 11) BRING UP - educar, criar
6) BLOW UP - llenar de aire, inflar 12) BRING UP - proponer, traer a colación
1) Susan threatened to leave, but later she backed down and stayed. 7) Jack had a terrible day yesterday. His car broke down on his way to work.
2) Bill's father promised to buy him a bicycle, but he finally backed out of his promise. 8) Burglars broke into Jack's apartmentwhile he was on vacation.
3) If you decide to present that proposal, I'll back you up . 9) The nation was happy until a terrible war broke out.
4) Can you back your car up a little? It's blocking my driveway ! 10) Tom got very angry and broke up with Susan.
5) The soldiers blew the bridge up . Nobody can cross now. 11) His parents died, so he was brought up by his grandfather.
6) Will you helpme blow these balloons up for the party? 12) A posible solution was brought up in the last meeting.
1) CALL OFF - cancelar, suspender 11) COME ACROSS - encontrar, toparse con
2) CALL ON - visitar, acudir a 12) COME ALONG - acompañar
3) CALL UP - llamar por teléfono 13) COME AWAY / OFF - desprenderse, soltarse
4) CARE FOR - gustar (se usa negando) 14) COME DOWN WITH - enfermarse de
5) CARRYON - continuar , seguir 15) COME LOOSE - aflojarse
6) CARRY OUT - llevar a cabo, realizar 16) COME OVER - venir a la casa de uno
7) CATCH UP (WITH) - alcanzar 17) COME ROUND / TO - recobrar la conciencia
8) CHECK IN - registrarse ( en hotel , etc) 18) COUNT ON - contar con , confiar en
9) CHECK OUT - investigar 19) CUT BACK ON - reducir en consumo de
10) CHECK OUT OF - irse ( de un hotel,etc) 20) CUT UP - cortar en pedacitos
1) The football match was called off due to the heavy rain. 11) I came across an old friend yesterday.
2) If you have problems with your homework, you can call on me. 12) If you want, you can come along with us.
3) Please, call me up when you finish that report. 13) I caught the rope strongly with my hands, but it came off.
4) I really likeBrazil, but I don't care much for its food. 14) Bob didn't come to work today. He came down with the flu.
5) Although we are very tired, we must carry on with this work. 15) The rope came loose, so the boat started to drift away.
6) The work on the building was carried out in only two months. 16) We are going to have a party at home tonight. Will you come over?
7) Sally is so intelligent and sofast. It's really hard to catch up with her. 17) She fainted, but fortunately she came round very quickly.
8) He arrived at the hotel and checked in. 18) You can count on Jack. He is very honest.
9) I think this information is wrong. Could you check it out ? 19) You are a little overweight. You should cut back on the amount of fat in your meals.
10) He checked out of the hotel because he didn'tlike the service. 20) In order to make this stew, cut up the meat first.
1) DO AWAY WITH - abolir, eliminar 6) DRAW NEAR - acercarse
2) DO UP - abrochar, atar 7) DRAW UP - redactar
3) HAVE TO DO WITH - tener que ver con 8) DRAW UP - detenerse, pararse
4) DO WITHOUT - arreglárselas sin 9) DROP IN (ON) - dar un visita
5) DRAG ON - ser interminable 10) DROP OUT (OF) - abandonar, dejar de...