BACKGROUND INFORMATION: Volcanoes erupt due to increased pressure and cause several types of damage.
PURPOSE: To demonstrate how eruptions occur and to visualize the possibledamage created by an eruption.
1. Boiled bottle
2. Rubber band
3. Baking soda
6. 2 pop bottles
7. 2 balloons
8. 1 filmcanister
9. Water to put in film canister
10. Cap for film canister
• I believe that the balloon will inflate and expand as it expands. The vinegar that is in the boiledbottle will probably rise up when it mixes with the baking soda, because baking soda is a leavening agent and vinegar is an acid. This will cause an eruption and inflation of the balloon.
• Ithink that the balloon inflated inside the boiled bottle will explode when smashed. It will also come out all of a sudden, for the force will be denser than the balloon.
• My guess is that thecap of the film canister will fly when the Alka-Seltzer and the water mix, because of the pressure created by the Alka-Seltzer gas
1.What evidence of expansion do you see?
2. What happens when pressure is increased quickly?
3. What has to happen when pressure is increased too high in a solid container?
/A/1. In thefirst experiment that we did during this lab we could see a clear evidence of expansion. The mix of the vinegar and the baking soda (heat) tends to rise. This caused the balloon to inflate and expand asthe pressure and materials rose. 2. In the second experiment, we could see how the sudden increase of pressure, the smashing of the boiled bottle, caused the inflated balloon to come out fast. Asudden increase of pressure causes a sudden explosion (eruption). 3. When pressure is increased too high in a solid container, like we saw on the Alka-Seltzer experiment, an explosion has to occur. The...