*Has 153 members (123 uruguayround and the others had to get membership).
* Provides a forum for negotiations
binging and enforceable commitment
TheNorth American Free Trade Agreement or NAFTA is an agreement signed by the governments of Canada, Mexico, and the United States, creating a trilateral trade bloc in North America. The agreement came intoforce on January 1, 1994. It superseded the Canada – United States Free Trade Agreement between the U.S. and Canada. In terms of combined purchasing power parity GDP of its members, as of2007[update] the trade bloc is the largest in the world and second largest by nominal GDP comparison.
* Promote fair competition in the free trade area.
* Protect and effectively enforce intellectualproperty rights in each member country.
* Create effective procedures for the implementation and enforcement of this treaty, for its joint administration and dispute resolution.
* Establish aframework for further trilateral, regional and multilateral cooperation to expand and enhance the benefits of this treaty.
* Remove barriers to trade and facilitate cross-border movement of...