The Human Genome, Disease & Model Organisms
An exploration of current trends in scienceName____________________________ Period____________
• Students will distinguish among DNA, genes, chromosomes & traits.
• Students will be familiar with the concept of the human genome and beable to compare the human genome to that of other species.
• Students will be able to demonstrate using the laws of probability the relative frequency of a trait inherited in a Mendelian way.• Students will be familiar with disease and its major causes: bacterial, viral & genetic.
o Students will be familiar with the different types of genetic diseases and their examples(monogenic, multifactoral, chromosomal & mitochondrial)
• Students will demonstrate a general understanding of tables, graphs and figures in order to illustrate genetic concepts.
• Part 1: The Research Topic
o Students will choose a research topic to explore and will write a 3-5 + pages exploring the following:
▪ Its phenotype
▪Signs and symptoms of the disorder
▪ Affects of the disorder on the patient
▪ Effects to quality of life: impairments, life-expectancy
▪ Frequency inthe population
▪ The genetics: genotype; chromosome it is found on; the pathology of the disease (trace it from a mutation to the phenotype).
▪ Current treatments/ lackthere of
▪ Highlight some of the key research that is being done (this is where you might want to talk about model organisms if that is a key form of research in your disease)• Use scientific articles
• Part 2: The Demonstration/ Experiment
o Students will design and execute an experiment demonstrating the relative frequency of...