E-commerce quickly becomes an instrument of strategic importance for companies. Choosing e-commerce supposes developing and deploying intercompany architectures supported by the use of information technologies and communications and especially by the Internet technology in commercial transactions and also in evaluating the changes made within the company. E-commerce, the marketing,promotion, buying and selling of goods and services over the Internet is experiencing unprecedented growth (Whiteley, 1995). Successful companies has adopted e-commerce as an important strategy of business, this report will explain the impact of E-commerce to two different industries; Athletic Footwear Industry and Hotel Industry describing specific companies such as Nike, Adidas and Reebok forthe Athletic Footwear Industry and Novotel and Hilton Hotels for the Hotel Industry.
Athletic Footwear Industry
The market for athletic footwear includes all producers of non-cleated, rubber and plastic footwear designed in an athletic style or for athletic use. The industry is a collection of smaller, segmented, yet often overlapping markets, defined by both the price and thepurpose of the shoes. For instance, there are mini-markets for shoes designed for each of many sports and other purposes: basketball, running, walking, tennis, and casual wear. Among relevant companies are: Nike, Adidas and Reebok.
* Nike, principal business activities involve design, development and worldwide marketing of quality footwear, apparel, and equipment and accessory products. Thelargest seller of athletic footwear and athletic apparel in the world. For this company (www.nike.co.uk)will be the website analysed
* Adidas, German based Adidas-Saloman is the second largest manufacturer of athletic equipment, footwear, and apparel in the world. For this company (www.adidas.co.uk) will be the website analysed.
* Reebok, Global company angaged in the design and marketing ofsports and firness products, including footwear, apparel, and accessories. They devote significant resources to advertising products to a variety of audiencies through various media. For this company (www.reebok.co.uk) will be the website analysed.
In France, at the beginning of the fifteenth century, the law required that hotels keep a register. English law alsointroduced rules for inns at that time. During this epoch, more than 600 inns were registered in England. Nowadays, Hotel Industry is becoming very important and existed prestigious chains are developing better services in which e-commerce is included as an important strategy business. Therefore, in this case 2 important companies such as Hilton hotel and Novotel Hotel will be analysed.
* HiltonHotel, Hilton Worldwide (formerly, Hilton Hotels Corporation), a subsidiary of the Blackstone Group, is a global hospitality company. As of January 2009 Hilton brands encompass 3,200 hotels with 545,000 rooms in 77 countries. Hilton is ranked as the 43rd largest private company in the United States by Forbes. For this company (www.hilton.co.uk) will be analyzed.
* Novotel Hotel, Novotel is oneof the world's major hotel chains, occupying a leading place in Europe and with locations globally. We interpret Novotel's change management programme in the 1990s in three parts. For this company (www.notel.com) will be analysed.
Features of good and bad website design
Websites are judged by content and layout. How good the content maybe, if your layout is not appealing, visitors will not beeager to come back. The layout of your website should enable the visitor to easily navigate your website.
By looking at Reebok website customers are able to navigate the page freely. Moreover, the pages are linked together in any order giving the opportunity to browse all the content. Looking at the general design, it can be clearly seen that:
* Good use of graphic elements (photos,...