Batteries generate electricity through a chemical reaction between two different electrodes and one electrolyte. Making electricity from chemicals is based on the same scientificprinciples on which all modern batteries work. You insert cooper and zinc electrodes in a chemical solution (electrolyte) and produce some electricity from the chemical reaction between your electrodesand electrolyte. In my project I will use a potato to show this electricity principle. I will also try to use a lemon to compare the different between them.
In this project, I willtry to prove that the potato contains many water soluble that may cause a chemical reaction with one or both electrodes. So we may get electricity from that and turn on a small clock. Potato juicecontains many water soluble chemicals that may cause a chemical reaction with one or both of our electrodes.
1. Two potatoes
2. Two short pieces of heavycopper wire or two pennies.
3. Two galvanized nails
4. Three alligators clip/wire units
5. One simple low-voltage LED clock that functions from a 1 to 2 volt button type battery.* Steps
1. Remove the battery from the battery compartment of the clock and make a note of which way around the positive (+) and negative (-) points of the battery went.
2. Number thepotatoes as one (1) and two (2).
3. Insert one nail in each of the potato.
4. Insert one short piece of the cooper wire or penny, into each potato as far away from the nail as possible.
5.Use one alligator clip to connect the cooper wire or penny in potato one to the positive terminal in the clock’s battery compartment.
6. Use another alligator clip to connect the nail in potatonumber two to the negative terminal in the clock’s battery compartment.
7. Use the third alligator clip to connect the nail in potato one to the cooper wire or penny in potato two and that will...
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.