UNIVERSIDAD DEL VALLE DE MEXICO CAMPUS COYOACAN
GUIA DE ESTUDIO PARA EL TERCER PARCIAL
I. UNREAL CONDITIONAL SENTENCES WITH IF CLAUSES.
These sentences are used to speculate about the present. It follows the following pattern:
IF + PAST, WOULD/COULD/MIGHT + VERB IN SIMPLE FORM
NOTE: It’s common to use the contraction ‘D instead of WOULD
1.If I had more free time, I would go kayaking. (I don’t have a lot of free time, so I don’t go kayaking)
2. If my father were rich, he could send me to Harvard. (My father isn’t reach, so he can’t send me to Harvard)
3. If I didn’t have a girlfriend, I might go out with Tina. (I have a girlfriend, so I probably won’t go out with Tina)
4. We wouldn’t have to study tonight if wedidn’t have a test tomorrow. (We have to study tonight because we will have a test tomorrow).
5. I might not watch too much TV if I were more interested in reading. (I probably watch too much TV because I’m not interested in reading)
NOTE: All the verbs in the IF CLAUSE are in PAST TENSE, but if you use the verb BE, it must be WERE for all the persons. (If I were, if you were, if hewere, if it were, if John were, if the pollution were…)
The patterns for interrogative sentences are the following:
WOULD + SUBJECT + VERB + IF + PAST
QUESTION WORD + WOULD + SUBJECT + VERB + IF + PAST
1. Would you marry Sue if you loved her? Yes, I would. / No, I wouldn’t
2. What would you do if you were rich? If I were rich, I’d buy a big house.
3. Where would youstudy if you had a choice? If I had a choice, I might study at IPN.
4. Would you cry if your dog died? Yes, I would cry / No, but I’d feel sad.
Exercise 1. Complete the following sentences and questions with the correct form of the verb in parentheses.
1. What ____________ you _________ (do) if you ________ (be) really hungry?
2. If Mike ________ (live) in this building, he___________ (not have to) get up so early.
3. ________ your mom _____ (get) angry if you ________ (arrive) late home?
4. We _________ (go) on vacations if we __________ ( have) enough money.
5. If Rose ___________ (not be) married, she _____________ (enjoy) life more.
II. PAST MODALS.
You use SHOULD HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE to talk about what was a better idea or the right thingto do in a situation in the past. In a question form, it’s common to use it with the pronoun “I” to ask suggestions about a past situation.
A. I saw my girlfriend kissing a guy from her job. I lost it and hit her. What should I have done?
B. You shouldn’t have hit her. You should have talked to her.
You use WOULD HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE to express an opinion about a pastsituation. In this case, it’s customary to ask using the pronoun “YOU” and answer with the pronoun “I”.
A. I found a wallet on the street. I looked inside and found an ID, I called the owner and gave it back. What would you have done?
B. I would have kept the money and I would have just given the ID card and credit cards back to the owner.
Exercise 2. Read the followingsituations and answer each question. Write as many ideas as you can.
1. Tom’s co-workers hid his laptop as a joke. Tom lost his temper and then sulked all day. Would you have reacted like Tom? What should he have done?
2. Andrea’s boyfriend called to cancel their date at the last minute. She told him she didn’t want to see him again and then hung up on him. Should she have done that? What would you have done?
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.