Student Lab Reading Assignments
“Thickening Sauces,” BCC pg. 403
“Making Hollandaise Sauce,” BCC pg. 410
“Cooking with Cheese,” BCC pg. 230
“Caramelizing Sugar for Crème Brulee,” BCC pg. 207Date:__________
4 to 6 servings
1 head of cabbage
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 cup buttered fresh bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Remove the tough outer leaves and pare away the coreof the cabbage. Using the disc with the one-fourth inch slicer on the food processor, cut the cabbage into shreds to yield about three cups. Place the cabbage shreds in a saucepan and add boilingsalted water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for two minutes. Drain.
3. Heat the butter and stir in the flour with a wire whisk. When the mixture is blended, add the milk, stirring rapidlywith the whisk. Season with the salt and pepper. Remove the sauce from the heat, stir in the cheese, and add cayenne pepper to taste.
4. Combine the cabbage and sauce and spoon into a buttered 9 x13 casserole. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake until the crumbs are browned and the cabbage mixture bubbles, about twenty minutes.
Blender Hollandaise Sauce with Fresh Asparagus (when inseason) or Broccoli
½ c butter
2 egg yolks
2 Tbs lemon juice
¼ tsp salt
1. Snap off bottom 1 ½ inches of each asparagus stem or prepare broccoli by peeling stem and cutting intobite-sized pieces.
2. Bring water to boil in a stainless steel saucepan (stainless steel, glass, or ceramic will maintain the bright green color), add the asparagus or broccoli and simmer 10 minutes or untiltender.
3. Arrange asparagus or broccoli on a platter,
4. Heat butter to bubbling, but do not brown.
5. Into the container of an electric blender put egg yolks, lemon juice, salt, and a...
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.