UNIVERSIDAD FRANCISCO JOSE DE CALDAS
NORTH AMERICAN LITERATURE
WASHINGTON IRVING 1783-1859: THE DEVIL AND TOM WALKER
PROFESSOR: SOFIA CASTAÑEDA
STUDENT: DIEGO ARMANDO GOMEZ 20062165008Purpose setting questions
1) The author started the tale in a very descriptive manner because his principal writing technique was with folk tales where he described a common place in Boston makingemphasis in the nature, in that sense for me Washington Irving illustrated all his words to involve the reader in a fantastic story with adventure, suspense, and enough criticism.
2) The charactersin the devil and Tom walker tale for me represent Washington Irving point of view about the low stratus in united states besides he had had a literary experience in Europe in that way for him theaspect of society is so different from American. And the conditions in which they lived could be so precarious that they needed money soon as possible.
3) The community reacts in front of Tom andhis wife as persons who like problems, discussions, and bad habits. In that sense for me represent the discrimination, and the division between stratus in that time in United States.
4) I thinkthat all these passages that the author mentioned in the tale about how was that process of colonization from native American is so cruelty in terms of violence because he described how white destroyto Indians without any piety. The intention of colonization was maintain a religion and destroys American native population.
5) He replied with a strong personality without fear about hisappearance as demon because he lived a difficult life with his wife and his needs were many then, in that way for him it was not amazing.
6) Regarding the Washington’s thoughts I belief that TomWalker reacts in a perfect way he did not have nothing to lose then, for him did not exist the fear, otherwise I could react in the say mood if I lived in the same conditions.
7) Tom walker was...
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.