Example language Grammatical items
1. Break in A. Tag Questions
2. My brother is a pilot, is he? B. Phrasal verb
3. If it's sunny, we'll go to the park C. Passive voice4.-The exam should have been given to everyone D. Determiners
5. This, that, these, those E. Echo Questions
6. An interjection is
a. an exclamation which shows thoughts or feelings b. a meaningless string of sounds c. the same as an adjective
7. A verb that has a subject butno object is.
a. Transitive b. Intransitive c. Passive
8. The subject does the action and receives the action is.
a. Reflexive b. Possessive c. Relative
9. A group of words that includes a subject and a finite verb is.
a. A clause b. A statement c. An idiom
10. A word that describes or gives more information about a noun or pronoun is.
a. An adjective b.An adverb c. An article
11. The words someone uses when they are telling someone what somebody else said or asked are,
a. The past tense b. Past conditional c. Indirect speech
12.A verb that does not take an auxiliary to negate or ask questions is called.
a. Active b. Modal c. Intransitive
13. ………. Are any pair or group of words commonly found together ornear one another. A. phrasal verbs B. collocations, C. chunks
14.A word with the same spelling and pronunciation as another word, but which has a different meaning,
A. Homonym B. Antonym C. homophone
15.A group of words or phrases that are about the same content topic or subject,
A. Lexical set B. Synonym C. Word family
16. A meaningful group of letters added to theend of a root or base word to make a new word which can be a different part of speech from the original word,
A. Prefix B. Particle C. Suffix
17. I’d rather have coffee than tea A. Suggesting
18.He should be in later B. Expressing probability F. Expressing preferences
19.What time does the bus arrive? C. Instructing20. I am sorry, I am busy D. Declining
21. Please turn to page 10 E. Enquiring
22. Two words which are different from each other by only one meaningful sound are.
A. Minimal pairs B. Homophones C. Consonants
23. In the sentence “She gave the ring to John” it can be implied that.
A. She only gave the ring to John B. John was the person she gave the ring to. C. She couldhave given the ring to somebody else.
24. The way the level of a speaker’s voice changes, to show meaning such as how they feel about something is.
A. Linking B. Stress C. Intonation
25. Words that sound similar because they have the same ending.
A. Rhyme B. Rhythm C. Contraction
the writing subskills listed A-G.
31. I change or correct the words or content of some parts of my text to make it clearer or easier to understand.
32.Before finishing, I give my work a final check for accuracy
33. I organize my main ideas into different paragraphs in note form.
34. I start writing, developing my main ideas.
35.Before I start, I try to imagine everythingI can about the topic and start writing as many ideas as I can without an specific order.
For questions 36-42 look at the following terms for language skills and three possible descriptors of terms.
36. Extensive reading is
A. reading long pieces of text, such as stories or newspapers. B. Part of a text which is removed from an original text. C. written language in texts or groups...
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.