LEVEL THREE INTERMEDIATE ONE
Name: Odalis Maritza Villacrés Maurad ______/100%
Modals- Fill in the blank with the appropriate modal in parentheses. (20 points)
1. I have already finished all of my homework, so I __ don’t have to___ (don’t have to, must, have to) study tonight. I think I will watch TVfor a while.
2. I __ must not __ (must not, am able to, must) forget to take my key with me, or I will get locked out of the house.
3. You ___ don’t have to __ (had to, have to, don’t have to) introduce me to Dr. Gray. We have already met.
4. You ____ have to ____ (must not, should, have to) be friendly to other people.
5. Bob ___ is able to ___ (is able to, must not, and has to)speak five languages. He grew up in different European countries.
6. We went to sleep late last night because we __ had to ___ (must, had to, have to) study for the English test today.
7. A person __ don’t have to ___ (don’t have to, doesn’t have to, and is able to) get married to have a happy life.
8. If you want to become a doctor, you __should___ (should, must, have to) go tomedical school for many years.
9. Rice ___must__ (must not, must, should) have water in order to grow.
10. This cake is delicious! You _should_ (should, had to, don’t have to) try a piece.
Future- Use be going to if you think the speaker is expressing a prior plan. Use will if you think the speaker has no prior plan. (12 points)
1. A: This letter is in French and I don’t speak French.Can you help me?
B: Sure. I __will going to translate_ (translate) it for you.
2. A: Do you want to go shopping with me? I __shall going___ (go) to the
shopping mall downtown.
B: Sure. What time do you want to leave?
3. A: Why does John have an eraser in his hand?
B: He _will be going to__ (erase) the blackboard.
4. A: How about getting together tomorrowafter work?
B: Sound good. Where?
A: Alice’s Restaurant. I _will to meet__ (meet) you there at around six o’clock.
B: Sounds great!
5. A: Do you have plans for dinner?
B: Yes. I __will to meet_____ (meet) a friend for dinner at Alice’s Restaurant. Do you want to come?
6. A: I _be going to sold__ (sell) my bicycle. I have to.
B: What? Why? You need yourbicycle to get to work.
A: I know, but I need the money. I can walk to work.
Simple Past vs. Past Progressive- Use the simple past or the past progressive of the verb in parentheses. (23points)
1. I am sitting in class right now. I __sat___ (sit) in class at this same time yesterday.
2. I don’t want to go to the zoo today because it is raining. The same thing happened yesterday. I_don’t want__ (want, not) to go to the zoo because it __will raining_ (rain).
3. I ____called____ (call) Roger last night at 9:00 last night, but he _wasn’t to___ (be, not) home. He __was studying__ (study) at the library.
4. I __didn’t heared__ (hear, not) the thunder last night because I __was sleeping___ (sleep).
5. My brother and sister _were argued___ (argue) about something whenI __am walking__ (walk) into the room.
6. I got a package in the mail. When I _ _opened__ (open) it, I __ found___ (find) a surprise.
7. A: Why weren’t you at the meeting?
B: I __was waiting__ (wait) for a telephone call from my family.
8. It was my first day of class. I finally __found___ (find) the right classroom. The room ___was__ (be) already full of students. On one sideof the room, students _were talking__ (talk) to each other in Spanish. Other students ____was speaking____ (speak) Japanese, and some __were_conversing__ (converse) in Arabic. It sounded like the United Nations. Some of the students, however, _
was_sat______ (sit) quietly by themselves. I ____was choosing___ (choose) an empty seat in the last row and ___I sat_ (sit) down. A few minutes...