Connect a computer to the Internet using a GPRS EDGE or UMTS BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem
|Document ID: |KB05196 |
|Modified Date: |01-22-2010 |
|Document Type: |Support |
|[pic][pic][pic]Print this page[pic] |
• BlackBerry® Desktop Software
• BlackBerry® Devices
• BlackBerry® Desktop Software version 4.1 to 5.0
• BlackBerry® Device Software version 4.2 to 4.7
• Windows® 2000, Windows® XP, and Windows Vista™
A BlackBerry smartphone with tethered modem capabilities can be used asan external modem to connect a computer to the Internet.
Summary of Tasks
To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:
1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 to 5.0 (one time only).
2. Set up the Internet access point name (APN) (one time only).
3. Configure dial-up networking (one time only).
4. Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later on your computer.
When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that allow the BlackBerry smartphone to communicate through the USB port and virtual communications port are installed. The standard modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.
Note: If upgrading BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1,the required virtual communications port and standard modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, run the installation for BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 and choose the Repair option to reinstall these components.
To set up an Internet APN, complete the following steps:
1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Phone andModem Options.
3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
5. Click Change Settings.
6. In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
7. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following:
Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile® customersonly:
The extra initialization command is: +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your wireless service provider.
8. Click OK.
9. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.
To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that is appropriate for the operatingsystem you are using.
1. Click Start.
2. Select Connect To.
3. Click Setup a connection or network.
4. Click Setup a dialup connection.
5. In the Dial-up phone number field type *99#.
6. Type the user name and password provided by your wireless service provider.
7. In the Connection Name field type BlackBerry.
8. Click Dialing Rules.
9. Make surethe profile created in Task 2 has been selected, and then click OK.
10. Select Connect to establish an Internet.
Note: For instructions on connecting a computer to the Internet using a BlackBerry smartphone with Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) as a tethered modem, see KB04664.
Windows XP operating system
1. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections.
2. Double-click NewConnection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
3. Click Next.
4. Select the Connect to the Internet option, and then click Next.
5. Select Set up my connection manually, and then click Next.
6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem, and then click Next.
7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box, and then click Next.
8. In the ISP...
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.