How do I paraphrase?
Whenever you paraphrase, remember these two points:
1. You mustprovide a reference.
2. The paraphrase must be entirely in your own words. You must do more than merely substitute phrases here and there. You must also completely alter the sentence structure.
Itcan be difficult to find new words for an idea that is already well expressed. The following strategy will make the job of paraphrasing a lot easier:
1. When you are at the note-taking stage, and youcome across a passage that may be useful for your essay, do not copy the passage verbatim unless you think you will want to quote it.
2. If you think you will want to paraphrase the passage, make anote only of the author's basic point. You don't even need to use full sentences.
3. In your note, you should already be translating the language of the original into your own words. What matters isthat you capture the original idea.
4. Make sure to include the page number of the original passage so that you can make a proper reference later on.
When it comes time to write the paper, rely...