Unit 2: “Natural reactions”
Grammar, “Gerunds and Infinitives”
¿What is a Gerund? It’s a verb finished on “ING”
¿What is an infinitive? “Full infinitive”: To +Verb ; “bare infinitive” Just the verb.
¿When do we use gerund?
* It can be used as the subject of a sentence. Ex: Smoking is bad for your health.
* Itis used after prepositions (for, at, from, *with/without/to, on, in, of). Ex: She is not really interested at playing tennis.
* After likes and dislikes verbs,such as “like, dislike, bother, can’t stand, enjoy, etc.” Ex: He enjoys explaining what a TAD project is.
* After certain verbs: avoid, can’t stand,consider, deny, enjoy, fancy, finish, give up, imagine, (don’t) mind, miss, practice, put off, risk.
* After expressions such as: interested in, tired of, boredof/with, fed up with, keen on, look forward to, succeed in, instead of, in spite of, goo/bad at, hopeless at, afraid/scared of.
¿when do we use full infinitive?
*After some adjectives: afraid, glad, sorry, happy, amazed. Be + adjective+ Full infinitive.
* After certain verbs: afford, agree, arrange, decide, help, hope,manage, promise, refuse.
¿when do we use bare infinitive?
* After modal verbs (except ought to)
* After “had better” and “would rather”
* With Make andLet
Offer _____(help) other students.
Consider ________(go) to a tutor for extra help.
Finish ________(study) all your homework each night.Practice ________ (do)the exercises every day.
Avoid _________(go) to the bar too often.
Learn _______(read) quickly.
Get used ________ (make)questions in class.
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.