INSTITUTO DE LENGUAS EXTRANJERAS
Facilitator: Andrea Zapata
Course: English 5
Name: Kriss Johanna Herrera Tamayo code: 34072009
A British kid, Alfie Patten, becomes a father at 13
(Information was taken from: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5724616.ece)
FEBRUARY 13, 2009
Alfie Patten,13, and his girlfriend Chantelle Steadman, 15, decided to keep Maisie who was conceived after one night of unprotected sex.
Alfie, who is just 4ft tall, hasn't yet hit puberty and was 12 when the baby was conceived. His daughter Maise Roxanne was born four days ago and weighed 7 Lb 3oz.
These children found out 12 weeks into the pregnancy but hid it from their parents for a further six weeksuntil Chantelle's mother, Penny, became suspicious when her daughter started gaining weight and confronted her about it.
The legal age for heterosexual or homosexual sex in England, Wales and Scotland is 16, in Northern Ireland teens must be 17 before they can legally have physical contact. If two immature teens have sex it is illegal but the law is not widely obligatory and usually the law stopsproceedings on the justification of public interest. If parents are conscious of their underage children having sex they could theoretically be judged by police.
Denny Patten, Alfie's father, said his son has not understood the gravity of the situation - but seemed to want to be a good father.
Exercise 1: According to the text, decide if the statements are true (T) or false (F). Then, choosethree statements and Jgive a short justification. (10 points/____)
Example: Alfie and Chantelle are teenagers __T___: Because they are 13 and 15 years old
1- Alfie conceived his baby when he was 13 years old. F
2- Chantelle’s mother realized about the pregnancy when the girl had 18 weeks. T
3- Hopefully both teens are prepared for the responsibility. F
4-Alfie comes from United States F
5- Maise, the baby, was born four days ago in the current month. T
6- The parents of these two teens were conscious about the situation, so they can have problems with the police. T
7- The law is not very strict when they find cases of premature pregnancy. T
Chantelle’s mother realized about the pregnancy when the girl had 18 weeks thather daughter started gaining weight.
Alfie is not conceived his baby when he was 13 years old, conceived his baby when he was 12 years old. He had 13 years when her baby was born
Maise, the baby, was born four days ago in the current month because it is February 13 and four days ago is 9 of the same month
Exercise 2: according to the pictures, write the letters of the correspondent picturefor each statement.
1. If you saw a building burning down you would need this place (D) Londonderry fire & rescue fire danger today is low…
2. Parking is not allowed in this place (F) emergency entrance
3. Political issues are going to be discussed in this meeting (C) south queens democratic club…
4. Music is going to be played without any cost (H) free entry samba band,carnival dancers…
5. Money will be given to a person who helps to care the publicity (B) the above reward…
6. This notice refers to something you have to do before use a shovel (E) call before you dig…
7. Praying is one the most significant activities made in this place (G) olton friary
8. Keep away of an energy device made available by the flow of electric charge through aconductor (A) warning…
9. Health is treated in this place (F) emergency entrance.
Exercise 3: read the following two letters and answer by writing A or B in the spaces.
IN WHICH LETTER (A or B)...?
1. ...which letter is formal? A
2. ...which writer asks for a favor? B
3. ...which writer is worried about his personal reputation? A
4. ...which writer is applying for a...