Scripts in an ASP file are executed on the server.
What you should already know
Before you continue you should have some basic understanding of the following:
• HTML / XHTML
If you want to study these subjects first, find the tutorials on our Home page.
• ASP stands for Active Server Pages
• ASP is a Microsoft Technology
• ASP is a program that runs inside IIS
• IIS stands for Internet Information Services
• IIS comes as a free component with Windows 2000
• IIS is also a part of the Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack
• The Option Pack can be downloaded from Microsoft
• PWS is a smaller - but fullyfunctional - version of IIS
• PWS can be found on your Windows 95/98 CD
• To run IIS you must have Windows NT 4.0 or later
• To run PWS you must have Windows 95 or later
• ChiliASP is a technology that runs ASP without Windows OS
• InstantASP is another technology that runs ASP without Windows
What is an ASP File?
• An ASP file is just the sameas an HTML file
• An ASP file can contain text, HTML, XML, and scripts
• Scripts in an ASP file are executed on the server
• An ASP file has the file extension ".asp"
How Does ASP Differ from HTML?
• When a browser requests an HTML file, the server returns the file
• When a browser requests an ASP file, IIS passes the request to the ASP engine. The ASP engine reads theASP file, line by line, and executes the scripts in the file. Finally, the ASP file is returned to the browser as plain HTML
What can ASP do for you?
• Dynamically edit, change, or add any content of a Web page
• Respond to user queries or data submitted from HTML forms
• Access any data or databases and return the results to a browser
• Customize a Web page tomake it more useful for individual users
• The advantages of using ASP instead of CGI and Perl, are those of simplicity and speed
• Provide security - since ASP code cannot be viewed from the browser
• Clever ASP programming can minimize the network traffic
[pic]Note: Because ASP scripts are executed on the server, the browser that displays the ASP file does not need to supportscripting at all!
Run ASP on Your Own PC
You can run ASP on your own PC.
Your Windows PC as a Web Server
• Your own PC can act as a web server if you install IIS or PWS
• IIS or PWS turns your computer into a web server
• Microsoft IIS and PWS are free web server components
IIS - Internet Information Server
IIS is a set of Internet-based services for serverscreated by Microsoft for use with Microsoft Windows.
IIS comes with Windows 2000, XP, and Vista. It is also available for Windows NT.
IIS is easy to install and ideal for developing and testing web applications.
PWS - Personal Web Server
PWS is for older Windows system like Windows 95, 98, and NT.
PWS is easy to install and can be used for developing and testing web applicationsincluding ASP.
We don't recommend running PWS for anything else than training. It is outdated and has security issues.
Windows Web Server Versions
• Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate come with IIS 7
• Windows Vista Home Premium comes with IIS 7
• Windows Vista Home Edition does not support PWS or IIS
• Windows XP Professional comes with IIS 5.1
•Windows XP Home Edition does not support IIS or PWS
• Windows 2000 Professional comes with IIS 5.0
• Windows NT Professional comes with IIS 3 and also supports IIS 4
• Windows NT Workstation supports PWS and IIS 3
• Windows ME does not support PWS or IIS
• Windows 98 comes with PWS
• Windows 95 supports PWS
How to Install IIS on Windows Vista