THE STRANGE CASE OF DR.JEKYLL AND MR.HYDE
Title: Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Country: United Kingdom
Publisher: Black Cat
Publication date: 5 January 1886
-The theme of this novel is about the split personality that people have. It all started on a Sunday in London while two friends walk down a quiet street.Mr. Enfield explains to Mr. Utterson, a strange story about one succes that he lived in one night. Utterson investigates this strange occurrences between his old friend, Dr Henry Jekyll, and the evil Edward Hyde. This old friend is suffering from a mental illness, has a split personality.. Several events will happen until the lawyer will detect the mystery.
-The novel concerns the strange doingsof Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, who, we find out, are one and the same. Mr. Hyde just happens to be the terrible, evil, criminal side of Dr. Jekyll who is unleashed via mysterious potions. The two men embody "man’s dual nature," hence the dual nature of the title
I would put a different title, for example "One lawyer with one challenge". Because the story is based in Mr.Utterson and her investigation.Another reason is that Mr.Jekyll is the friend of the lawyer, not quite the protagonist.
The characters of story are:
* Mr. Utterson: protagonist of story,he was a lawyer in London. He was a very serious masn, and he did not often smile or laugh. He lived alone, ande he had a very quiet life. He was kind with his friends. His best friend was called Richard Enfield. He’s the perfectgentleman. He has perfect manners, and is conscientious. Moreover he’s reliable, trustworthy, and surprisingly not judgmental. Hyde mystery was motivated because of concern for his friend.
* Mr.Enfield: he was a relative of Mr.Utterson. He walked together every Sunday with him. It was he who told Utterson, the story of the girl and Mr. Hyde. He is the person who mentions to the lawyer the actualpersonality of Jekyll's heir, Mr Hyde. He says that Mr.Hyde is small and very ungly.
* Edward Hyde: This character is created by Dr. Jekyll from the dark side of his soul. Physically is being deformed, disgusting and evil. He indulges in many undisclosed pleasures, but the main characteristic we see is that of violence. Mr. Hyde, likes to beat people up. he’s not particularly bigger orstronger than the people he beats up. No, he simply likes beating people up. He feels pleasure when he engages in violence.
* Henry Jekyll: he has sufficient physicochemical knowledge to make a potion by which he was able to separate the two natures of man (good and bad).He does have one nasty little secret: he longs to be evil and give way to many wishes. He admits that as Dr. Jekyll, he sometimesworks to fix the harm that he caused as Mr. Hyde. But eventually, he just can’t help himself. He has to participate in a world of pleasure no matter what it costs him.
* Dr. Lanyon: Old friend of Mr. Utterson and Dr. Jekyll, in fact, the three of them have been friends since childhood. It is the first to discover the truth about Henry Jekyll.
* Poole: is Dr Jekyll's butler who, uponnoticing the reclusiveness and changes of his master, goes to Mr Utterson with the fear that his master has been murdered and his murderer, Mr Hyde, is residing in the laboratory. Poole serves Jekyll faithfully, and attempts to do a good job to his master. Yet events finally drive him into joining forces with Utterson to discover the truth.
* Inspector Newcomen: This Scotland Yard inspector isjoined by Mr Utterson, after the murder of Sir Danvers Carew. They explore Hyde's loft in Soho and discover evidence of his depraved life.
* A Maid: A maid, whose employer Mr Hyde had once visited, is the only person who claims to have witnessed the murder of Sir Danvers Carew. She states that she believes the murder to have been committed by Mr Hyde.
* Sir Danvers Carew: Carew was a old...
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.