ENRIQUE GUZMAN Y VALLE
“Alma Mater del Magisterio Nacional”
FACULTAD DE CIENCIAS SOCIALES Y HUMANIDADES
DEPARTAMENTO ACADÉMICO DE LENGUAS EXTRANJERAS
THE RED-HEADED LEAGUE
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
ASIGNATURA : Taller de Lectura Literaria Inglesa
PROFESSOR : Lic. Betty LavadoESTUDIANTE : Lic. L. HANS REYES BALBOA
LIMA – PERÚ
I. Activity 3
Comprehension and discussion questions
1. What is the name of the famous detective mentioned in the story?
➢ His name is Sherlock Holmes
2. Was Sherloch Holmes an American or an Englishman?
➢ He is English
3. Does the story open in Sherlock Holmes apartment or in Dr. Watson’s apartment?➢ The story opens in Sherlock Holmes apartment.
4. Why had the red-headed man come to call on Sherlock Holmes?
➢ Because he had a terrible problem.
5. What strange advertisement did he bring with him?
➢ It is about a job to red hair people.
6. What was the League of Red-headed Men?
➢ It was an association founded by Ezekiah Hopkins, because he loved thesepeople. But this association was false.
7. Had the society be founded by an Englishman or American?
➢ By American man.
8. Did the gentleman who called on Mr. Holmes at the beginning of this story have bright red hair or dark red hair?
➢ Bright red hair.
9. Could any one apply for the position mentioned in the advertisement, or was it limited to red-headed men?
➢ Itwas limited to red-headed men
10. In what city does the story take place?
➢ In London
II. Activity 4
Vocabulary and idiom review
a) Fill in the blanks in the sentences in the right-hand column with one of the words or expressions in the left-hand column.
1) Singular 1.- I want to advertise the report that Miss Jones has beentyping
2) Mind 2.- I can’t mind this report, it still puzzles me.
3) Founded 3.- She tries to be in good spirit, but some days she is very
4) Call on 4.- I don’t look over doing that job.
5) Look over5.- At present I can’t give you an answer, perhaps I’ll know
the answer later.
6) Figure out 6.- At present you believed what he said, but I wasn’t sure
7) At present 7.- That was a very singular event; I´ve never seenanything like it.
8) On the other hand 8.- The leaves fall from the trees in the figure out.
9) Be in good spirit 9.- That restaurant was founded in 1898; It is very old.
10) Advertise 10.- I may take a trip; on he other hand I may stay at home11.- When I went to call on my friend, he was too sick to
b) Use the following expressions in sentences of your own.
1) Call on : I call on my mother today
2) On the other hand : I may watch TV. on the other hand I may go to a cinema
III. Activity 5
Comprehension anddiscussion question
1. Was Mr. Wilson a businessman or a professional man?
➢ He was a businessman
2. Did Mr. Wilson say that it had been easy or difficult for him to earn a living?
➢ He said that was difficult.
3. Did Mr. Wilson´s assistant work for double pay or for half pay?
➢ He works for half pay.
4. Was Sherlock Holmes an efficient or inefficient...