When you have nausea and vomiting
Diarrhea in adults - what to ask your doctor
Diarrhea in children - what to ask your doctor
Clear liquid diet
Full liquid diet
Itis the presence of watery stool, loose and frequent. Diarrhea is considered chronic (prolonged) when you have had this kind of loose or frequent stools for more than 4 weeks.
ConsiderationsDiarrhea in adults is usually mild and goes away quickly without complications, whereas in infants and children (especially under age 3), diarrhea can cause dangerous dehydration very quickly.
CausesThe most common cause of diarrhea is viral gastroenteritis, a mild viral infection that disappears spontaneously within a few days and is often called the stomach flu. Viral gastroenteritis oftenoccurs in epidemics in schools, neighborhoods and families.
Food poisoning and traveler's diarrhea are two other common causes of diarrhea that occur from the consumption of food or watercontaminated with bacteria and parasites.
Medications, especially antibiotics, laxatives containing magnesium, and chemotherapy for cancer treatment, can also cause diarrhea.
The following medicalconditions can also lead to diarrhea:
* Celiac disease
* Inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis)
* Irritable bowel syndrome
* Malabsorptionsyndromes such as lactose intolerance
Other less common causes of diarrhea include:
* Carcinoid syndrome
* Nerve disorders like autonomic neuropathy or diabetic neuropathy
* Partial removal of the stomach (gastrectomy)
* Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. Start with sips of any fluid other thancaffeinated beverages. Milk may prolong loose stools, but also provides needed fluids and nourishment. Milk consumption may be fine for a mild diarrhea, but in case of moderate to severe diarrhea,...
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.