The movie I chose is Girl, Interrupted and I chose it because it’s a movie I’ve seen a lot of times and the mental disorder ofthe main character always called my attention and I wanted to have a closer approach to it, to understand better the disorder, the symptoms, the causes and how does it damage or influence otherslives.
The main character’s mental disorder is “border line personality disorder” which is a type B of the personality disorders. Its diagnostic criteria is the following:
1. Frantic efforts to avoidreal or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.
2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterizedby alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that arepotentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.
5. Recurrentsuicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior.
6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usuallylasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
7. Chronic feelings of emptiness.
8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper,constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.
In the first few minutes of the movie, Susana (the main character)appears in a hospital with a lot of nurses and doctors, and she begins to throw up what seems to be aspirins and vodka; few seconds later she is at a therapist office talking about drinking a whole...