STRUCTURES AND VOCABULARY
A SHORT COURSE IN ENGLISH FOR ADULT STUDENTS
Prof. Juan Gmo. Moya Montaña
TABLE OF CONTENTS
PART ONE: ELEMENTARY LEVEL
• TO BE (Present, Past and Future)
• THE ENGLISH ALPHABET
• THE PHONETIC ALPHABET
• What?, Who?, How?, When?, Why?, How old? How long? What time?
• This, That, These,Those; A(N); The ; At, On, In ; Until, For
• Now, today; yesterday, the day before yesterday; last week / last year / last
Monday, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, next week, two days ago
• THERE TO BE
(Present, Past and Future)
• SOME - NOT ANY - NO - ANY
• CARDINAL NUMBERS
• How much? How many?
• Much, many, little, few, a lot, lots of, very little, very few•
HAVE GOT / HAS GOT
ARTICLES I - Deﬁnite and Indeﬁnite
TELLING THE TIME
Uncountable nouns: money, sugar, milk, water, work, etc.
Countable nouns: people, men, students, books,etc.
O´clock, quarter past / to, half past, minutes past / to
In the morning / afternoon / evening; at night
Noon / midday, midnight
PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE • Now, at present, at the moment, at this time, temporarily, for the time
INFINITIVES AND GERUNDS
TIME AND DATES
• How old?, How tall?, How far?, How long?, How high?, How fast?,
How deep?, How thick?, How wide?, How big?, What color?, What size?,
QUESTION WORDS 1
What shape?, What is / are ......... like?
For describing peopleand things.
- Numerals, Time and Dates
• SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE
• ADVERBS OF FREQUENCY
• QUESTION WORDS II
For requesting information.
• ARTICLES II - General and speciﬁc
• RELATIVE PRONOUNS: Who and
- Time expressions (I)
Every day, every week, every month, etc.
Always, generally, usually, often, sometimes, never, etc.Once a day, twice a week, three times a year, etc.
What?, Who?, Which?, Why?, Where?, How? Whom?, Whose?, How
much?, How many?, How often?, How long?, What time?, What kind of?,
What sort of?, etc.
A short course in english for adult students
• PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE
• IMPERATIVE FORM
• ARTICLES III - Nationalities,
professions, titles and ranks;
streets, cities, countriesand
• EXCLAMATORY FORM
- The house
• At that time, at 10:30 last night, etc., When Peter arrived this morning,
when they got married, etc.
• Open the door, please. Please, don´t do that.
• An American, a Chilean, an Englishman, etc.
• A doctor, an engineer, a secretary, etc.
• Mr. Scott, Cpt. Jones, Dr. White, etc.
• On Fifth Avenue, In Salt LakeCity, In Canada, in the USA, in North Carolina,
in the West Indies.
• What a tall woman!, What beautiful ﬂowers! What nice weather!
How tall she is! How quickly time passes!
• SIMPLE FUTURE TENSE I: Will
• RELATIVE PRONOUNS: Who,
• SOMEBODY / SOMEONE,
AND DERIVED WORDS
- The City
• John will come here tomorrow / the day aftertomorrow / next week / next
month / at this time tomorrow / at this time next year, etc.
• He said that he was tired.
He told me that he was tired.
• Who is he? Whom did you see? Whose is that car? Whose care is it? : The
man with whom Mary is working now, The man whose car is parked outside.
• Somebody / someone, something, somewhere, not anybody / not anyone,
not anything, not anywhere,nobody / no one, nothing, nowhere
• SIMPLE FUTURE TENSE II :
AM / IS / ARE+GOING TO.......
• IT TAKES........ / IT TOOK....... /
IT WILL TAKE...... = DEMORAR
• COMPARISON OF ADJECTIVES
• John is going to come here tomorrow / the day after tomorrow / next
• It takes me 20 minutes to.....
• How long does it take to....?
• Short - shorter than-...