A / AN
Use 'a' with nouns starting with a consonant (letters that are not vowels),
'an' with nouns starting with a vowel (a,e,i,o,u)
An before an h mute - an hour, an honour.
A before u and eu when they sound like 'you': a european, a university, a unit
The indefinite article is used:
• to referto something for the first time:
An elephant and a mouse fell in love.
Would you like a drink?
I've finally got a good job.
• to refer to a particular member of a group orclass
o with names of jobs:
John is a doctor.
Mary is training to be an engineer.
He wants to be a dancer.
o with nationalities andreligions:
John is an Englishman.
Kate is a Catholic.
o with musical instruments:
Sherlock Holmes was playing a violin when the visitor arrived.(BUT to describe the activity we say "He plays the violin.")
o with names of days:
o I was born on a Thursday
Use the Simple Present to express the idea that anaction is repeated or usual. The action can be a habit, a hobby, a daily event, a scheduled event or something that often happens. It can also be something a person often forgets or usually does not do.Examples:
• I play tennis.
• She does not play tennis.
• Does he play tennis?
• The train leaves every morning at 8 AM.
• The train does not leave at 9 AM.
• When doesthe train usually leave?
• She always forgets her purse.
• He never forgets his wallet.
• Every twelve months, the Earth circles the Sun.
• Does the Sun circle the Earth?
Adverbs"redirects here. For the Daniel Handler novel, see Adverbs (novel).
|I found the film incredibly dull. |
|The meeting went well, and the |