INSPECTION AND PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE PROCEDURE FOR FRESENIUS ® HAEMODIALYSIS MACHINES 4008 SERIES AT QUEENSLAND HEALTH BIOMEDICAL TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
(1) As an Electronics Engineer in Brisbane Australia and working for Queensland Health Biomedical Technology Services, I was appointed in a permanent position as Biomedical Technician for Robina Hospital atthe Gold Coast, from January 2010 until now. During this time I have been delivering technical services including repairs, planned maintenance and other technology support services to ensure the safety and effectiveness of electronic and/or mechanical medical devices and other health technology equipment. This essay describes the procedure that should be done to perform inspection and preventativemaintenance for Fresenius haemodialysis machines 4008 series.
(2) The Queensland Health Clinical and State-wide Services (CaSS) Division was established under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Dr Peter Lewis-Hughes as a result of observations and recommendations in the Forster and Davies Reports (2005), Queensland Health underwent a major restructuring into the AreaHealth Services and associated support divisions.
(3) Queensland Health Biomedical Technology Services (QHBTS or BTS) is a branch or unit of Clinical and State wide Services Division (CaSS). BTS is at the forefront of medical technology management in Australia. It is the largest organisation of its kind in the country, providing the most comprehensive range of health technology services.
(3) BTSprovide services in strategic areas throughout Queensland, enabling to provide timely and efficient responses directly to clinical users. BTS’s broad range of services include: health technology management and information, health technology maintenance, design, manufacture and modification of equipment and radiation safety and compliance testing.
(4) During my work experience with BTS, I hadto perform tasks of inspection and preventative maintenance on medical devices six monthly and yearly. Next I will describe the procedure performed on this medical equipment for Gold Coast Hospital and Robina Hospital in Queensland Australia during my new position as Biomedical Technician specialised in Haemodialysis machines.
INSPECTION AND PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE PROCEDURE FORFRESENIUS ® HEMODIALYSIS MACHINES 4008 SERIES
* Deliver routine technical services either at Gold Coast Hospital or Robina Hospital or home patients and undertake a range of tasks under the direction and general supervision of more senior practitioners (including installations, commissioning, repairs, manufacturing components and preventativemaintenance).
* Maintain, test and repair Haemodialysis Machines Fresenius 4008 Series.
* Assist more senior practitioners with the management of locally based resources including spare parts, manuals and testing equipment.
* Apply established methods, policies and procedures with a commitment to the principles of quality management and continuous quality improvement, in accordancewith NATA/ISO accreditation/certification requirements.
* Make decisions and carry out routine tasks in relation to the work that is within the sphere of my responsibility.
* Participate in the introduction of new technologies or processes in the work area and across disciplines.
* Comply with standard operating procedures and provide guidance to less experienced practitionersand/or clinical staff.
PERSONAL WORKPLACE ACTIVITY
(5) In my position of Biomedical Technician I had to perform preventative maintenance servicing six-monthly and yearly for Fresenius haemodialysis machines. These machines are used for removing waste products such as creatinine and urea, as well as free water from the blood when the kidneys are failing. I had to perform this maintenance in the...