Palacio de Bellas Artes
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Palace of Fine Arts |
Palacio de Bellas Artes |
Front view of the Palacio de Bellas Artes |
General information |
Coordinates | 19°26′8.3″N 99°8′28.6″WCoordinates: 19°26′8.3″N 99°8′28.6″W |
Construction started | 1 Oct. 1904 |
Inaugurated | 1934 |
Height | 44 |Design and construction |
Architect | Adamo Boari and Federico Mariscal |
The Palacio de Bellas Artes (Palace of Fine Arts) is the most important cultural center in Mexico City as well as the rest of the country of Mexico. It is located on the west side of the historic center of Mexico City next to the Alameda Central park.
The first National Theater of Mexico was built in the late 19thcentury, but it was soon decided to tear this down in favor of a more opulent building in time for Centennial of the Mexican War of Independence in 1910. The initial design and construction was undertaken by Italian architect Adamo Boari in 1904, but complications arising from the soft subsoil and the political problem both before and during the Mexican Revolution, hindered then stopped constructioncompletely by 1913. Construction began again in 1932 under Mexican architect Federico Mariscal and was completed in 1934. The exterior of the building is primarily Neoclassical and Art Nouveau and the interior is primarily Art Deco. The building is best known for its murals by Diego Rivera, Siqueiros and others, as well as the many exhibitions and theatrical performances its hosts, includingthe Ballet Folklorico de Mexico.
Contents * 1 History * 2 The building * 3 Events * 4 Murals * 5 Museo del Palacio de Bellas Artes * 6 Museo Nacional de Arquitectura * 7 References * 8 External links |
The earliest known structure on the site was the Convent of Santa Isabel, whose church was built in 1680. However,significant Aztec finds, such as a sacrificial altar in the shape of a plumed serpent have been found here. The convent area suffered frequent flooding during the early colonial period and development here grew slowly. In spite of this, the convent remained until it was forcibly closed in the 1860s by theReform Laws. It was replaced by a textile mill and lower-class housing.
Facade of thePalacio.
A section of this housing, on Santa Isabel Alley, was torn down and replaced by the National Theater in the latter 19th century. During the late 19th century and very early 20th, this theatre was the site of most of Mexico City's high culture, presenting events such as theatre, operettas, Viennese dance and more. It was then decided to replace this building with a more opulent one for theupcoming Centennial of Mexican Independence celebrations in 1910. The old theatre was demolished in 1901, and the new theatre would be called the Gran Teatro de Ópera. The work was awarded to Italian architect Adamo Boari, who favored neoclassical and art nouveau styles and who is responsible for thePalacio del Correo which is across the street. Adamo Boari promised in October 1904 to buildgrand metallic structure, which at that time only existed in the United States, but not to this size. The first stone of the building was place by Porfirio Díaz in 1904. Despite the 1910 deadline, by 1913, the building was hardly begun with only a basic shell. One reason for this is that the project became more complicated than anticipated as the heavy building sank into the soft spongy subsoil.The other reason was the political and economic instability that would lead to the Mexican Revolution. Full hostilities suspended construction of the palace completely and Adamo Boari returned to Italy.
The project would sit unfinished for about twenty years. In 1932, construction resumed under Mexican architect Federico Mariscal. Mariscal completed the interior but updated it from Boari's...
Leer documento completo
Regístrate para leer el documento completo.