GRADES 9o and 10o
LUTHER STARTS THE REFORMATION
1. Identify and explain the following terms and people: indulgence, Reformation, Lutheran, Luther,Calvin, John Knox, Protestant, Anglican
2. Why did Luther break with the Catholic Church? Why did he criticize the church? What were the effects in Europe of doing so? What was the church’s responseto Luther?
3. Why did Henry VIII break with the Catholic Church? What did Henry ask the pope to do for him? What were the effects in England of doing so? What was the pope’s response to Henry?ABSOLUTISM IN EUROPE
1. Identify and explain the following terms and people: Philip II, Absolute Monarch, Absolutism, Divine Right of the Kings, Henry IV, Edict of Nantes, Louis XIII, CardinalRichelieu, Louis XIV, L’etat c’est moi, intendant, Jean Baptiste Colbert, The Palace of Versailles, Louis XV, Louis XVI, Marie Antoniette
2. Name some of the actions that demonstrate that Philip IIof Spain saw himself as a defender of Catholicism
3. List the conditions that allowed European monarchs - mainly the French ones - to gain power
4. List the ways in which European monarchsincreased power
5. Which events strengthened the French monarchy and which ones weakened it?
6. How did the policies of Cardinal Richelieu affect both the French and the world economy?
7.How did Cardinal Richelieu strengthen France?
8. How did the policies of Colbert and Louis XIV affect the French economy?
9. Name two ways that Louis XIV controlled the French nobility?
10.What happened to the French economy as a result of the construction of the palace at Versailles?
11. In what way did Louis XIV cause suffering to the French people?
12. What were the mainsources of wealth? In what way did mercantilism impact the economy?
13. Explain the effects of trends such as inflation and high taxes
THE ENGLISH MONARCHY
1. Identify and explain the...