The Diary of a Young Girl
A: Main Characters and characteristics:
She is a teenager who has to hide from the Germans if she doesn’t want to die, and all she wants to do is be a normal girl, having fun hanging out with friends, playing games, etc. She always was a nice girl which had to suffer because of the WW2. She neverwanted to be locked up, she also could of have a good future being a writer. But sadly died without having a chance to grow up and fulfill her adult life.
B: Characters; what significance did they have in Anne’s life?
1. Otto Frank: He’s Anne’s father and also her best friend therefore he’s one of the few people that give her hope that they’ll survive the war and will have a normal lifeagain. .And also because he’s always there when she needs advice or help.
2. Margot Frank: She’s Anne’s sister and they love each other but sometimes don’t get along good, but at some point they always understand each other’s problem and tries to help themselves.
3. Edith Frank: She’s Anne’s mother even though Anne doesn’t look up to her (she looks up to her dad) they still have a piece of love intheir heart for each other.
4. Peter Van Daan: a boy that went into hiding with the Frank’s. He made good friend’s with Anne, a matter of fact so good friends that Anne fell in love with him. When Anne was bored she went to find him to stay and talk with him and then she went and write about him in her diary.
5. Mr. Van Daan: He is Peter’s father, he’s not a mean guy you just have to stay on hisgood side and you won’t have any problem with him.
6. Mrs. Van Daan: She is Peter’s mother, Anne doesn’t like her too much but when you need a person to talk with and will listen to you and will give you some good advice she is the person you’re looking for. Sometimes Anne goes up to her room when she has a problem just to talk with her. She could be grumpy but you have to stay on her good side.7. Alfred Dussel: He was a dentist before he went into hiding with the Franks, now he lives with them and he helps out the Franks with their needs.
8. Mr. Kugler: A man who hides with the Franks and helps them hide and with their needs like food, books, keep watch, etc.
9. Mr. Kleiman: Another man who helps the Franks hide and mostly does the same as Mr. Kugler; helps with needs, helps withproblems, etc.
10.Miep: A woman who works in Otto Frank’s office, and helps the Franks out and is another of the few friends that Anne has ( among her father and Elli ). She is one of those few people who give her hope that they will survive.
Setting: It takes place in Holland from the years 1942-1944.
Anne’s DIARY BEGINS on her thirteenth birthday, June 12, 1942, and endsshortly after her fifteenth. At the start of her diary, Anne describes fairly typical girlhood experiences, writing about her friendships with other girls, her crushes on boys, and her academic performance at school. Because anti-Semitic laws forced Jews into separate schools, Anne and her older sister, Margot, attended the Jewish Lyceum in Amsterdam.
The Franks had moved to the Netherlands in theyears leading up to World War II to escape persecution in Germany. After the Germans invaded the Netherlands in 1940, the Franks were forced into hiding. With another family, the van Daans, and an acquaintance, Mr. Dussel, they moved into a small secret annex above Otto Frank’s office where they had stockpiled food and supplies. The employees from Otto’s firm helped hide the Franks and kept themsupplied with food, medicine, and information about the outside world.
The residents of the annex pay close attention to every development of the war by listening to the radio. Some bits of news catch Anne’s attention and make their way into her diary, providing a vivid historical context for her personal thoughts. The adults make optimistic bets about when the war will end, and their mood is...